Macadamia Nut Pancakes (keto, paleo, & possibly vegan)
Well known for their starring role in macadamia nut cookies, this Hawaiian tree nut brings a lot to the table when it comes to nutrition.
The mighty macadamia boasts favourable amounts of copper, iron, B vitamins, zinc, and vitamin E. Macadamia nuts are also high in heart healthy monounsaturated fat, a stable fat which can withstand more heat in the kitchen than other liquid oils like olive and canola oil.
Macadamia nuts have been studied for their weight loss benefits, cancer preventing properties, heart health bolstering and cholesterol lowering potential.
Enjoy raw macadamia nuts on their own as a snack, on top of salads, in trail mix, or in my favourite macadamia nut pancake recipe below:
- 3 eggs, room temperature (vegan option: 3 “chia eggs”)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (keto option: 2 squeezes of Sweet Monk)
- 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Generous pinch of Himalayan salt
- Preheat waffle iron
- Place all ingredients except for 3 tablespoons coconut oil, in a high speed blender. Blend on high for 60 seconds.
- Brush melted coconut oil onto surface of the waffle iron.
- Spoon the batter into waffle iron, filling halfway. Spread evenly.
- Close the lid and cook for 1-3 minutes, until the steam stops rising from the waffle iron.
- Serve immediately, topped with your favourite waffle toppings!
This is a great recipe for slow sunday mornings. My husband and I like to top them with berries, bananas, and whipped coconut cream. I have made these for our grain-loving family members for brunch, and they were a hit!
Double or triple the batch, and freeze the leftovers for a quick snack or breakfast. Just pop one in the toaster and go!
Thank you for reading!
Would you like to start eat month with motivation, a heads up about the latest Thrive post, clean recipes, healthy lifestyle hacks, local health tips and more? Do I hear a YES? Then I think you’ll enjoy our monthly publication, “5 to Thrive” (sign up at top or bottom of this page).
🍎 🔬 Yours in health,
Carly Del Ciancio
Thrive Live Blood Microscopy
Carly Del Ciancio is the owner and microscopist at Thrive Live Blood Microscopy. She is passionate about sharing the benefits of natural health, and helping her friends, family and clients THRIVE! Carly offers in-office live blood microscopy services, as well as wellness consultations (near & far). Find out more about Thrive’s services and variety of available tests here.